Is Window-Eyes University for you? If you are a blind consumer using Window-Eyes, a student who needs to learn how to use Window-Eyes for school, a teacher of the visually impaired who needs to keep up with the latest screen reader technology, an IT professional who needs to know how to support Window-Eyes, a counselor who needs to know about Window-Eyes functionality, or an assistive technology trainer who needs to learn about the latest advancements, then Window-Eyes University is for you.
Ai Squared has found that many IT professionals, teachers, students, counselors, and assistive technology trainers simply do not have enough time to learn all of the functionality of Window-Eyes through the course of their normal day because you already have enough to do with your schoolwork or general workload. Window-Eyes University is the perfect place to immerse yourself in Window-Eyes, and to learn all of the functionality and accessibility to applications that you never knew existed before. Many of our students learn new concepts or new ways to perform their work that greatly increases their productivity.
Read AFB's AccessWorld Review of Window-Eyes Classroom Training by Deborah Kendrick.
We have also found that people who are blind often receive computer systems, but the real problem is in learning to use these systems. A person with sight has all kinds of manuals and reference material at hand to use. However, most of the time these materials are not accessible for those of us who are blind. This presents a real problem, and many times the computer system ends up not being used at all or not used anywhere near its full capacity. We have found this to be a widespread problem throughout the adaptive technology industry.
At Window-Eyes University, you will find a strong focus on using Window-Eyes with Windows, the Microsoft Office suite, and Internet Explorer, along with learning how to configure Window-Eyes to your personal tastes. We find that most of our students learn that the applications taught in class are more accessible than they ever imagined. And, many of our sighted users often learn concepts in Microsoft Office that they never even knew existed.
Ai Squared offers Window-Eyes University in various locations around the United States and Canada. We provide instruction in basic and intermediate skills in a 2-day format. This training will provide you with the foundation needed to use a computer using Window-Eyes with confidence, as well as increase your knowledge of how Window-Eyes interacts with popular mainstream applications, such as Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Window-Eyes University Policies
- Ai Squared offers training classes in Fort Wayne, IN as well as other locations around the U.S. (48 contiguous states) and Canada (some areas not covered - please call).
- The training offered is a two-day training program: one day to teach Window-Eyes Basics and one day for Window-Eyes Intermediate skills.
- Window-Eyes certified trainers will conduct the training.
- Class size is a minimum of five (subject to change) and a maximum of ten. Class registration will be closed 10 days prior to the start of the class.
- The training fee must be paid at the time of registration with a check, credit card or purchase order.
- The training fee is $650 per person.
- Persons registering after the ten day cut-off time will be charged an additional $50.00 per day of training.
- Computers will be provided. You may NOT bring your own computer.
- Class hours are from 9:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M. with a break for lunch and a morning and afternoon break. Lunch will be provided for all students. Actual training time will be six hours.
- The software utilized during training is Microsoft Office 2010 and Windows 7 or Microsoft Office 2013 and Windows 8.1.
- The trainee will be provided with a CD-ROM containing the entire two day Window-Eyes University curriculum.
- The trainee will receive a certificate of completion.
- Cancellations 30 days or more prior to the start of training will receive a full refund.
- Cancellations between 15 and 30 days prior to the start of training will receive a 75% refund.
- Registrants canceling less than 15 business days prior to the start date of the training will receive no refund.
- Ai Squared reserves the right to cancel any training prior to the start date of the training by providing written notification.
- In the event of course cancellation, Ai Squared will not be held liable for fees or penalties incurred due to changes in transportation, or other reservations made prior to the scheduled class.
- Headphones will be provided. However, if you prefer your own headphones, then we request that the participants bring headphones.
Window-Eyes University Course Descriptions
Note: The amount of information covered will vary depending on the skill level of the class. It is possible that not all items will be covered in every class due to time constraints.
- Adjusting the Speech On the Fly
- Computer Requirements and Setup
- Windows Basics
- Navigating and Reading Documents
- Reading Text with Window-Eyes Commands
- Using Microsoft Word with Window-Eyes
- Window-Eyes Help Resources
- The Window-Eyes Control Panel
- Using Windows Explorer to manage files
- Accessing the Web with Window-Eyes
- Using Microsoft Excel
- Using Microsoft PowerPoint
- Using Microsoft Outlook (Email and Calendar)
- Customizing Window-Eyes verbosity
- Reading the Screen with the Mouse
- Exceptions, Character, Graphics Labels and Key Label Dictionaries
- Hot Keys and Cursor Keys
- Set Files
- Window-Eyes apps
- More advanced Internet skills including filling out forms and reading tables