GWKB1046 : Using the Braille Sense as a Refreshable Braille Display with JAWSProduct: Window-Eyes
Author: Aaron Smith
Date Added: 06/30/2006
Last Modified: 11/09/2010
Symptom: Braille Sense does not appear to be supported by JAWS.
Cause: Freedom Scientific does not believe it "makes good business sense" to support the Braille Sense as a refreshable Braille display with JAWS.
Solution: Perform the following steps:
(Please note: These steps only apply to JAWS versions 7.x through Jaws 10.x running under Windows XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have not been tested, and 64-bit operating systems will not work at all.)
- Download the JAWS Braille Sense patch.
- A dialog will appear and ask you to run or save the file. You should save the file to your computer. Make sure to remember where you saved it.
- Press Enter on the file.
- Follow the prompts.
- Open JAWS.
- On the Braille Sense, go to the Global Options and turn off the USB Mass-storage mode.
- Make sure that all programs are closed on the Braille Sense.
- After you have closed all programs, and you are in the Program menu, press U followed by S to open the Terminal for Screen Reader program.
- Then press the letter U to activate the USB Port. The Braille Sense will say, "Terminal Mode."
- Connect the client USB port on the Braille Sense to a USB cable.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to a host port on the computer running JAWS.
- If this is the first time that you have used your Braille Sense as a refreshable Braille display via the USB port, you will be asked to install new hardware. You will see a dialog that asks, "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for software?" Press the DOWN ARROW to select, "No, not this time."
- Press Enter
- Then, you will see a dialog that asks, "What do you want the wizard to do?" Press the DOWN ARROW to select "Install the software automatically (Recommended)."
- Press Enter
- Windows will then search for the USB driver. The dialog should eventually say, "Braille Sense USB driver for WIN-EYES."
- You will then see a Hardware Installation dialog with a Continue Anyway button and a STOP Installation button. Make sure that you are on the Continue Anyway button, and press Enter.
- The wizard should then have found and installed the hardware, and you should be taken to a dialog that tells you this information. Navigate to the Finish button, and press Enter.
- Open the JAWS Control Panel by pressing INS-J.
- Open the JAWS Options menu by pressing ALT-O.
- Press the DOWN ARROW until you get to Braille, and press Enter.
- TAB to the Add Braille Display button, and press Enter.
- Press the DOWN ARROW until you get to the Braille Sense Checkbox, and press SPACE to check the box.
- TAB to the Next button, and press Enter.
- Continue to follow the prompts until you reach the Finish button, and press Enter on the Finish button.
After you have pressed Enter on the Finish button, you should restart JAWS. The Braille Sense should now be functioning as a Braille display using JAWS. For JAWS support questions, please contact Freedom Scientific at www.freedomscientific.com. For Braille Sense questions, please contact GW Micro at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (260) 489-3671.
Please note that GW Micro does not provide technical support for the JAWS screen reader.