GWKB1022 : Speech Parameter Hot Keys Do Not SpeakProduct: Window-Eyes
Author: Aaron Smith
Date Added: 09/22/2005
Last Modified: 02/27/2012
Symptom: Using Window-Eyes 5.0, or greater, when pressing the Speech Parameters hot keys (CTRL-ALT-ARROW KEYS by default) Window-Eyes will not indicate the current speech parameter setting.
Cause: An application running in the background uses these keys to modify various settings, such as screen rotation for video adapters.
Solution: Disable the hot keys. Different computers will have different methods to change these settings. The first thing you should do is make sure your screen is oriented correctly by pressing CTRL-ALT-UP ARROW. Then, you can use one of the following methods by performing the following general steps:
Method 1 (Intel video adapters)
- Open the Windows control panels
- Open the Display control panel
- Select the Settings tab
- Select the Advanced button
- Select the Intel(R) Extreme Graphics option
- Select the Graphics Properties option
- Select the HotKeys option
- Uncheck Enable Hot Keys option
Method 2 (Intel video adapters)
Open the Graphic Properties options using CTRL-ALT-F12.
Method 3 (Intel video adapters)
1. Go to the Desktop of the computer with WINDOWS KEY-M and press CONTROL-SPACE to unselect all of the list view choices on
2. Press the CONTEXT MENU key (AKA APPLICATIONS KEY) and DOWN ARROW to Graphics Options
3. Press ENTER.
4. Locate the Hotkey option and press ENTER. It can be accessed by using the DOWN ARROW in the first list.
5. DOWN ARROW to disable the hotkey that can change the position of the monitor/display and press SPACE to disable (it is usually a button).
6. Press TAB to the OK BUTTON and press SPACE if the dialog does not disappear after the previous step.
Method 4 (nVidia video adapters)
- Arrow down to NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager in Control Panel, and press Enter
- Shift-Tab to the tab control
- Arrow right until you reach the Hotkeys tab.
- Tab once to the Select an action treeview. By default, all the treeviews are closed.
- Arrow down to Display Mode and expand it with Right Arrow.
- Arrow down to Rotate Display.
- Tab to the Remove button and activate it. This is an action button.