a shared object library which is an interface to GPS receivers which use (or simulate) a standard COM port, for app developers. It also provides the same positional information via the Windows 7/8 Location Sensor API if a GPS receiver isn't available.It allows development of apps which have location-based capabilities, without having to understand the difficulties of interfacing with a GPS receiver (similar in concept to the Windows 7 location-sensor, however it works with all versions of Windows). it allows you to determine your current position, heading and speed from a GPS receiver linked to your pc. It also optionally plays various sound files for events such as aquisition of signal, obtaining a fix, losing a fix, loss of signal, changing quality of fix, etc. More than one app can interface with the GPS concurrently.Includes a sample app which inserts your current latitude/longitude into your active window when you press a hotkey.It also includes several lat/lon related classes and routines; useful even when no GPS receiver is connected. These provide the distance between two points, the bearing from one point to a second, or the relative bearing from a current heading to a specified point.Download Now
Supported Languages: English
Minimum Version: Window-Eyes 7.5
Release Date: 6/10/2015
Last Update: 6/10/2015
6/10/2015 11:21:15 AM
- Fixed issue where sometimes an error would occur when upgrading the GPS app.
- Fixed issue where an age of 0 was returned for the very first GPS fix reading, when the definition of the position functions called for a number > 0 to be returned if the position was known.
5/30/2015 8:28:23 PM
- Fixed an issue where the count of satellites in view was incorrect.
5/21/2015 3:09:28 PM
- Fixed issue with sending error report emails and emails to the author; before this update, any error reports or emails to the author did not make it to him.
- Fixed an issue which could arise on some pcs when trying to detect the proper com port to be used.
3/9/2015 7:52:48 PM
- fixed an issue with registering an activeX control in 64-bit versions of Windows.
2/6/2015 8:41:57 PM
Fixed issue which could cause an error when initializing on a system under heavy load (such as finishing an update to Window-Eyes).
8/4/2014 9:26:54 AM
- Modified the sample included app named My_Location so that it does not open the GPS shared object until its hotkey is used for the first time.
- Fixed an issue related to app menus and Window-Eyes 7.5.
7/28/2014 8:16:21 AM
7/13/2014 7:39:56 PM
- Added a parameter to all methods related to distance measurement, so that choice of units can be specified.
- Bug fixes related to errors which could occur when closing down the GPS or the app.
7/5/2014 6:52:58 PM
Fixed an issue where if the GPS app was opened configured to not search for GPS receivers, and the app menu was used to change this after a client application had opened the shared object, no search was initiated.
7/4/2014 8:16:35 PM
Fixed issue which could cause an error when closing or restarting a client app
7/3/2014 4:20:30 PM
BUG FIX FOR AN ISSUE WHICH COULD KEEP A CLIENT APP FROM INITIALIZING PROPERLY ON A SYSTEM WITH HEAVY LOAD AND WHICH IS NOT THE FASTEST.
7/2/2014 4:51:07 PM
Of interest to developers, have added several methods which allow other apps to query and control the use of a GPS receiver and/or the Windows Location Sensor.
Of interest to those who use apps which make use of this, it is now more responsive, and allows a much longer period of time with no signal before reporting that the GPS receiver has lost fix. Other minor bug fixes.
6/13/2014 3:58:25 PM
- Added a menu option so that a user can control whether this app attempts to make use of the Windows Location Sensor. Without this, Windows would generate a continuous series of prompts asking the user if it was ok to allow an app access to the Location Sensor.
6/11/2014 3:37:49 PM
Fixed issue which brought up an unneeded security dialog when installing the activeX control under XP; this dialog would often keep the activeX control from registering properly. Now the dialog will no longer appear for XP users.
9/17/2013 2:00:07 PM
- Includes an updated activeX control with a bug-fix which prevents it from displaying error dialogs when it is unable to open a com port.
- Fixed issue where selecting the app menu item to search for a GPS receiver would not start if an app had previously initialized the GPS;
' also, if this choice is unchecked, it now closes the GPS (if it had been opened) and halts any search of the COM ports which may have
' been initiated.
- Better registering of the activeX GPS control.
- better error reporting for any problems with registering of the activeX control for the GPS receiver.
6/3/2013 3:22:25 PM
Purchased a new GPS activeX control (included) which works with 64-bit Windows (unlike the previously used activeX, which would register, but not function, under 64-bit Windows). The new control will automatically register itself.
Other various minor issues corrected.
5/16/2013 9:17:15 PM
Fixed an issue which caused an error message when attempting to install on 64-bit Windows.
4/10/2013 3:59:35 PM
- Added function GetDefaultAddress(), which returns the default location set in the Windows 7 Location API (set via a control panel applet).
- Added a "Status: " display to the app menu, to show the current status of any GPS receiver.
- Fixed issues, including some with the use of the Windows 7 Location API.
2/20/2013 11:06:45 AM
- Fixed bug in function EstimatePosition which would cause it not to report any position.
- Fixed HDOP tone values so that the lowest possible values don't generate tones too low to hear.
- Improved position accuracy report when staying still or moving slowly.
2/15/2013 9:23:08 PM
Multiple bug fixes; should be much more reliable now.
1/10/2013 11:39:31 AM
Improved installation for optional activeX control for GPS receivers.
11/18/2012 4:50:03 PM
Now requests permission before installing the included activeX control for interfacing with a GPS receiver. Without this warning, some users would be faced with an unknown UAC prompt.
11/10/2012 4:44:00 PM
Modified to ask user if it is ok before registering a needed activeX control (such a registration will possibly trigger a UAC prompt on Windows Vista and later).
11/4/2012 4:14:30 PM
- Added function GPSVersion().
- Modified functions so that they will return a position from the Win7/8
location Sensor API if no GPS is currently working.
- Modified function HasAFix() so that it will return a report which also includes the Win7 location API if no GPS is currently working.
(so now, use HasAFix() instead of GPSWorking() to determine if a position is known,
and use GPSWorking() to determine if a GPS receiver is available).
- Added an app menu choice to allow user to prevent app from constantly searching for a COM connection to a GPS receiver (if user knows one isn't available).
5/21/2012 7:56:14 PM
- Added function GPSHasFix() to GPS shared object.
- Added new shared object LatLon
(containing properties Latitude, Longitude,
and methods distanceTo(), DescriptiveDistance(), bearingTo(),
relativeBearingTo(), DescriptiveBearing(), DescriptiveRelativeBearingTo(),
- Added GPS menu to the Apps menu, which contains options for playing/speaking ques when various GPS events occur.
(change in GPS connected status; change in fix status, etc.)
- Added methods CurrentLatLon() and NewLatLon() to the GPS shared object; they return an object of the new class LatLon.
- Added included My_Location.vbs sample program.
3/20/2012 2:11:16 PM
Fixed bug in installation/registration of included Waymex NMEA activeX control.
Made slight change to data locking for multi-client use.
Switched to ErrorReporting2 from GW Toolkit, which looks for an update after an error.
Modified function EstimatePosition to better handle unknown or estimated position reports, and to better make use of HDOP.
3/16/2012 8:23:58 AM
Changed version number to work around bug in app central, and reuploaded .wepm file.
6/8/2011 4:59:30 PM
4/26/2010 11:39:27 AM
bug fixes; primarily one which allows multiple clients to access the GPS concurrently
3/14/2012 8:22:27 PM
Bug fixes and repaired .wepm file.
4/16/2010 10:29:48 PM
added function GPSWorking() so client could know if a working GPS was connected; now properly supports multiple concurrent client use; other bug fixes.
4/11/2010 8:35:09 PM
bug fixes; changed the parameters for the sound effects routines (added one for speech during important status changes)
4/5/2010 9:16:42 PM
- Filename: GPS.wepm
- Date: 6/10/2015 11:21:16 AM
- Size: 782.2KB
- Total Downloads: 25391
DISCLAIMER: Ai Squared DOES NOT ASSUME AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR THE CONTENT OF THIS, OR ANY EXTERNAL, APP, THE OPERATION OR CONTENT (INCLUDING THE RIGHT TO DISPLAY SUCH INFORMATION) OF ANY APP, NOR FOR ANY OF THE INFORMATION, INTERPRETATION, COMMENTS OR OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN ANY APP. ANY COMMENTS OR INQUIRIES REGARDING THIS APP ARE TO BE DIRECTED TO THE PARTICULAR PERSON OR PERSONS RESPONSIBLE FOR AUTHORING AND PROVIDING THE APP.